Get 12 months for the price of 10 when you sign up to Disney+
Disney Plus Australia: Price, content, comparison and features
Here's how a subscription Disney’s streaming service works and everything you can watch using it.
Disney Plus is a streaming service operated by entertainment giant Disney. After launching in Australia on 19 November 2019, just a week after it debuted in the US, Canada and the Netherlands, the service has grown steadily.
Starting off as just a historical vault of Disney classics, Disney Plus has since grown to be the second-biggest streaming service in the world after Netflix.
Subscribers get a mix of TV shows and movies, with an emphasis on original productions you can't watch anywhere else. Highlights include original shows like The Mandalorian, long-running series The Simpsons, reality hit The Kardashians, Star originals like Only Murders in the Building and crowd-pleasers similar to critical darling Abbott Elementary. Plus, you get a whole bunch of other goodies, including Marvel, Pixar and Star Wars blockbusters.
Disney Plus Australia price
Subscriptions to Disney Plus in Australia cost $13.99 a month or $139.99 for an entire year. Both packages give you the exact same offering in content, simultaneous streams and devices. The only difference is committing to an entire year gets you a 16.61% discount compared to paying monthly. Disney Plus increased its prices in December 2022.
Disney Plus launched an ad-supported tier in the US in December 2022. There's no news about a similar subscription making its way to Australia just yet. However, the entertainment giant did suggest it was planning to offer an ad-supporter tier internationally from 2023.
Does Disney Plus have a free trial in Australia?
Although there was initially a 7-day free trial at launch, Disney Plus stopped offering it on 19 June 2020. Special promotions or bundles may be available again in the future, such as with Disney Plus Day.
The easiest way to create a Disney Plus account is via the official website. To sign up to Disney Plus, all you need is an email address plus your debit or credit card. Register for an account, drop in your card details and you'll be good to start watching.
If you're looking for a different way to sign up, you may want to purchase a Disney Plus gift subscription. There's no option to get anything other than an annual gift card, which you can get through the Disney Plus gift subscription page.
2023 Finder Customer Satisfaction Awards winner
Disney Plus was ranked the number 1 streaming service by customers. It topped the categories for both its range and quality of content. Around 92% of respondents said they would recommend Disney Plus, which was the most of all the streaming services surveyed.
Disney Plus Star
Disney Plus shows and movies
The online service gives users access to a generous library of TV shows and movies from the Disney catalogue, as well as titles from Marvel, Lucasfilm, Pixar, National Geographic, ESPN, 20th Century Studios and Hulu. We monitor Disney Plus content additions and removals daily and the streaming service has 844 TV shows and 1,972 movies in its library.
Disney invests heavily in original content for Disney Plus. To begin with, the company relied on established brands instead of exploring new avenues, but its focus has shifted over time.
On the TV front, Disney Plus offers hours of Disney Channel programming, but also original productions made especially for the streaming service. The list features Star Wars spin-off The Mandalorian, which became an international hit shortly after its release. Other Star Wars originals include The Book of Boba Fett, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Andor.
Subscribers get a lot of new Marvel TV series as well, from She Hulk: Attorney at Law to Ms. Marvel to Werewolf by Night and beyond. The platform also now hosts the Marvel shows previously on Netflix: Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, The Defenders and The Punisher.
Star is a Disney Plus hub that hosts content for adults. It's the closest thing to Hulu that countries outside the US can get. Originally, Disney Plus was strictly family-focused, but the arrival of the Star channel added more adult-skewed programming. It hosts popular titles such as the Deadpool franchise, Grey's Anatomy, Family Guy, American Horror Story and Criminal Minds to name a few. It also offers originals such as Dopesick, Fresh, The Dropout, Under the Banner of Heaven, The Bear and The Old Man.
On the movie front, Disney Plus is becoming the exclusive streaming destination for all titles under the Disney umbrella. The likes of Lightyear, Eternals, Encanto and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness have all found a streaming home on Disney Plus after theatrical release.
Disney Plus upcoming content
The media giant is planning to launch a lot of shows and movies based on existing properties.
Marvel fan? Keep an eye out for upcoming TV series Ironheart, Echo, Agatha: House of Harkness, Spider-Man: Freshman Year, Marvel Zombies and a Daredevil reboot.
On the Star Wars side of things, the list of upcoming releases includes Lando, The Acolyte, as well as spin-offs from The Mandalorian titled Ahsoka and Rangers of the New Republic.
There are some upcoming Australian titles that have begun filming and will likely roll out in 2023 including Last Days of the Space Age and The Artful Dodger.
Star Originals are also making noise. Upcoming titles under the Star banner include crime thriller Culprits.
Disney Plus release highlights include the following:
- Justified: City Primeval - 18 July 2023
- The Bear season 2 - 19 July 2023
- Futurama season 11 - 24 July 2023
- High School Musical: The Musical: The Series season 4 - 9 August 2023
- Ahsoka - 23 August 2023
How to watch Disney Plus
Disney Plus can be viewed in different ways. You can access the website on your laptop or desktop computer or download the app on iOS and Android devices. There is also an app for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 (it recently relaunched its app on the console with full 4K HDR support), Xbox One, Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X game consoles.
On the big screen, you can use Apple TV, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Telstra TV, Fetch TV or Android TV to stream from another device. Some Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense and LG TVs also have built-in Disney Plus support. All content on Disney Plus is in HD.
If you need any help at all with getting started, we have a guide for setting up Disney Plus on every device.
You can stream on up to 4 devices at once as well. Unlike Netflix, Disney Plus doesn't charge extra to watch on multiple screens. Parents will be happy to know you can set up a Kids Profile to ensure your children don't see any inappropriate material.
Disney Plus features
- Multiple profiles. Disney Plus allows up to 4 concurrent streams, which means that more users can watch at the same time using only 1 account. You can create separate profiles for everyone so that each user can curate their own watch list and keep track of the content they're most interested in. You can also choose a Disney character for a profile picture.
- Offline viewing. You can download Disney Plus shows and movies on mobile devices to enjoy on the go without burning through your mobile data. All titles are available for download, unlike Netflix and Stan where some titles (especially non-originals) aren't. There's no limit to how many downloads you can have other than your device's storage capacity.
- Accessibility features. The streaming service offers closed captioning, audio descriptions, text-to-speech support, colour contrast, responsive design, keyboard navigations and other accessibility options. The availability of closed captioning and audio descriptions varies by language. Thanks to Disney Plus being a global streaming service, you'll find content available in multiple languages.
- 4K, Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision. The majority of the library is in 4K Ultra HD and HDR. There's also content that comes with 5.1 Surround Sound and Dolby Atmos and supports the Dolby Vision standard. More titles are continually having their quality upgraded. You'll need a compatible device and a high-speed internet connection to enjoy these features.
- Kids Profile. Disney Plus lets you set up a special Kids Profile that only shows titles rated G and PG in Australia. You can set it up as you would a normal profile – just make sure you check the Kids Profile box when setting the profile name.
- IMAX enhanced. Selected movies are available in IMAX's expanded aspect ratio. In layman's terms, this should allow the film to take up your entire screen instead of having black gaps at the top and bottom of the screen.
- Ability to request shows or movies. While the Disney Plus content library is pretty comprehensive, some shows and movies from the Disney catalogue are still missing. If you can't find your favourite title, you can request it to be added by accessing the Help Section and using the Give Feedback feature.
- GroupWatch. This feature allows you to watch and react to the same show with up to 6 different friends at once. You can create your own virtual watch party. Read a detailed breakdown of GroupWatch here.
How does Disney Plus compare to Netflix, Stan, Foxtel and others?
Despite joining an increasingly crowded marketplace, Disney Plus stacks up really well. Compared to other streaming services that offer 4K and multiple devices for example, Disney Plus costs less than the premium plans from Stan and Netflix. There are streaming services that are cheaper than Disney Plus – Prime Video and Apple TV Plus are just a couple, along with more niche services.
You can read more about how Disney Plus stacks up against some of the major streaming services below.
Disney Plus Day
Each year Disney Plus holds a special celebration called Disney Plus Day. It features exclusive news, exciting releases and special promotions.
In 2022, Disney Plus Day was on 8 September. The live-action film Pinocchio made its streaming debut, as did Thor: Love and Thunder. Other new shows premiering that day included Wedding Season and Cars on the Road. It also offered a special deal where you could get 1 month of Disney Plus for only $1.99.
Our verdict and review of Disney Plus
In Australia, Disney Plus packs a wide content library, fun features and an affordable price given it supports 4 simultaneous streams.
Since it offers content from Marvel, Lucasfilm, Pixar Fox Studios and National Geographic, the Force will continue to be strong for Disney Plus. After all, these are some of the biggest media franchises in the world.
Removing the free trial hasn't seemed to affect consumers' willingness to test out the platform, as it has well and truly broken through the 160 million subscriber barrier globally. If you're still tossing up whether it's right for you, check out our list of the best Disney Plus shows and the best Disney Plus movies.
Compare streaming services
Frequently asked questions
Read more on this topic
Where to watch Billie Eilish Happier Than Ever concert online in Australia
Billie Eilish, live performances and beautiful animated visuals – what more could you ask for?
How to watch Marvel’s Black Widow online in Australia
Natasha Romanoff finally gets her very own Marvel flick.
Where to watch Dude, Where’s My Car? online in Australia
After a night they can't remember comes a day they'll never forget.
Where to watch Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23 online in Australia
This "odd couple" sitcom is smarter than it looks.
Where to watch Ugly Betty online in Australia
Based on the popular telenovela Yo soy Betty, la fea.
Where to watch Cruella movie (2021) online in Australia
Emma Stone stars in this intriguing villain origin story.
How to watch Katey Sagal show Rebel online in Australia
This snappy legal drama might make for a relaxing watch.
Where to watch Love, Victor online in Australia
If you enjoyed Love, Simon, this spin-off show will be right up your alley.
Where to watch Solar Opposites online in Australia
These genius aliens are smarter than any man – but can they fit in on Earth?
Where to watch Big Sky online in Australia
Things are about to take an ugly turn in David E. Kelley’s Big Sky.
Stream the best and save
All the biggest shows and movies from HBO and more on-demand.
Get the best of Paramount, Showtime and more. Stream A-League live.
Ask an Expert