Want to get 2 months free on your first year's premium?
Take advantage of these discount codes and pet insurance tips to make sure you’re able to give your pet the medical treatment they deserve, without blowing your budget.
Why compare pet insurance with Finder?
You pay the same price as buying directly from the pet insurer.
We're not owned by an insurer (unlike other comparison sites).
We don't ask for your phone or email.
We've reviewed over 35 policies on the market, so you don't have to.
Knowing how pet insurance costs are determined can help you find new ways to save, while costs can be further reduced by looking for more discounts. These include:
- Online discounts. Buying pet insurance isn’t like buying a pet. In fact, unlike searching for a pet puppy on the world wide web, online pet insurance is often a preferable option that can deliver significant discounts.
- Multi-pet discounts. If you own more than one pet, you can often get discounts for insuring a few, or all, of them. Look for insurers that offer discounts in line with the number of pets you need cover for.
- Multi-policy discounts. You can often save by taking out cover with a current insurer. This can also be combined with multi-pet discounts for further savings.
- Ongoing loyalty discounts. Insurers are often happy to reward customer loyalty with discounts that grow alongside your new pet. This might be through reduced prices, additional benefits or with gifts and other free bonuses.
- Using existing cover. Some insurance policies may come with pet cover included. Check whether you have any existing cover, and consider whether you want to replace it, merely fill in the gaps or if it’s already right for you.
- Variable excess. As with other types of insurance, you can choose a lower excess with pet insurance policies to get reduced premiums.
Combine these discounts with other ways of saving on pet insurance, and you can find a lot more room to maneuver between effective cover and affordable prices.
What types of pet insurance policies can I get discounted?
There are many different insurers, and a number of different pet insurance policies to consider. Discounts are often particular to insurers or policy types, but you can get them with almost any form of pet insurance, including:
- Accidental injury pet insurance: Cover your furry friend against the unexpected (but not the expected) with a cost-effective accidental-injury-only policy. Discounts mean you can find exceptionally affordable accidental injury cover, but you may want to use them to find a higher level of protection instead.
- Injury and illness pet insurance policies: A more thorough level of cover that can protect you from many of the more significant pet ownership costs, these policies mean you don’t have to choose between value and effectiveness.
- Premium, comprehensive pet cover: By getting discounts on comprehensive pet insurance policies you can save even more all up, while still knowing that you’re doing everything to can to make sure your pet can spend as much time on this earth as possible.
- Lifetime pet insurance: Many people make sure to get an effective lifetime pet insurance policy as soon as they can after their new family member arrives home. Discounts for lifetime pet insurance policies can deliver long-term savings and make a real difference.
- Renewable pet cover: If you’re opting for 12-month pet insurance policies, or other renewable temporary cover types, it may be worth considering discounts as part of finding the most cost-effective policy.
- Equine cover: Horse owners may appreciate the importance of effective cover, as well as the long term value of discounts. Many insurers, both specialist and general, are able to offer deals.
- Dog and cat pet insurance: Some insurers may offer cover specific to cats or dogs, while the discounts can be more general, or equally specific. Compare the discounts along with the policy options to make sure you’re getting the savings you’re entitled to.
Why you can trust Finder's pet insurance experts
You pay the same as buying directly from the pet insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of pet insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.
Since 2016, we've helped 110,000+ people find pet insurance by explaining your cover options, simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.
We're here to help
More guides on Finder
Kogan Mobile iPhone plans: How they compare + what to watch out for
Kogan Mobile’s selling refurbished iPhones on a plan in case you want to avoid buying a new handset outright.
3.3 million Aussies will switch or ditch their health cover in 2023
Millions of Australians are considering switching or ditching their private health insurance policy as expenses soar, according to new research by Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
Finder Daily Deals: The 200+ best deals in Australia right now
Today's best deals in Australia include: 46% off Instant Pot air fryers, 50% off men's footwear at BoohooMAN, $300 off Roborock vacuums.
Galaxy Z Fold 5 and Z Flip 5: Rumoured plan prices, specs and release date
We're expecting big things from the launch of the Galaxy Z Fold 5 and Z Flip 5.
Crash: Why 1 in 4 Aussies switching to electric vehicles could cause blackouts
As Australians make the EV switch, experts fear blackouts as our power grid fails to keep up.
Exclusive: Energy providers are charging up to $800+ a year more
Finder's done a deep dive to see how energy providers have reacted to rising power prices in states that have been impacted the worst.
Top 10 TV shows in Australia this week and where to watch them
Vampires and love triangles and The Bear - oh my!
Dollar Saver tip #40
The average expected tax refund this year is $2,900 and, according to Finder research, for 1 in 8 Australians, that refund is 'critical'.
Our most common money mistakes
2 in 5 Australians have made a financial blunder in the last year, according to a new Finder survey.
Get a better deal on pet insurance
How much does it cost to insure a dog in Australia?
Ask an Expert