- Get 2 months free across your first year's insurance premium. Sign up using the code 2MF. T&Cs apply.
- Well known Australian brand
Best pet insurance Australia – July 2023
We researched 60+ policies to help you find the best pet insurance for your furry friend.
- Up to $30,000/year for vet bills
- 10% off your Woolies shop
- 24/7 online access to vets
- Cheaper on average than other insurers
- Claim up to $12,000 for accidents and illnesses
- Pays for 80% of eligible vet bills
- Covers 90% of eligible vet bills
- Claim up to $25,000 per year
- Finder exclusive 10% off your first year (using promo code FINDER)
- Can cover 100% of eligible vet bills
- $15,000 annual limit
- Fast claims process
Best pet insurance in July 2023
- Top pick for discount: Medibank Pet Insurance
- Top pick for features: Everyday Comprehensive Plus Pet Insurance
- Top pick for price: Budget Direct Pet Insurance
- Top pick for value: Knose Pet Insurance
- Top pick for benefit percentage: PetsOnMe Pet Insurance
- Top pick for benefit percentage: Petsy Pet Insurance
- Top pick for routine care: PIA Major Medical Cover
Finding the best pet insurance
All the pet insurance policies below will cover your pet for accidents and illnesses. They all have an annual limit (how much you can claim back each year) and a benefit percentage (how much of the vet bill it will cover you for, e.g. 90%).
To select our top picks, we used our Finder Awards data and researched 69 pet insurance policies (that's nearly all pet insurance policies available in Australia), looking at features including annual limit, benefit percentage, discounts and excess. Remember, there's no single best pet insurance policy that suits each one of our furry friends, since we all have different budgets and priorities.
Top pick for discount: Medibank Pet Insurance
What we like about Medibank pet insurance:
- Offer: You get 2 months off your first year. We researched over 19 insurers. Only 1 other insurer offers a discount as good as this. Plus, Medibank and ahm health members save 10% every subsequent year.
- 2 months free can lower your costs significantly. For example, you could save $100 with a $600 per year policy.
- Medibank gives you 80% back on vet bills. This is the same as the majority of insurers, though several including Coles, PetsOnMe and Knose offer a higher percentage benefit of 90% or 100%. It also only comes with a $15,000 annual limit. We found 15 policies that offer a bigger annual limit.
Top pick for features: Everyday Comprehensive Plus Pet Insurance
What we like about Everyday pet insurance:
- It has one of the largest annual limits on the market. Its Comprehensive Plus Pet Insurance lets you claim up to $30,000 a year towards vet bills.
- You get free access to VetAssist with every policy. This is valued at $199 per year and gives you 24/7 access to licensed Australian Vets via video call or online chat. It also comes with GapOnly cover which lets you claim on the spot, as opposed to pay for the full vet bill and wait to be reimbursed.
- You get 10% off your grocery shop at Woolies every month. This could save you a lot if use your discount when you do a big shop.
- Everyday gives you 80% back on vet bills. This is the same as the majority of insurers but it is possible to get more back. For example, Coles, PetsOnMe and Knose can cover 90% or 100%.
Top pick for price: Budget Direct Pet Insurance
What we like about Budget Direct:
- It's typically cheaper than every other pet insurer whether you own a cat or a dog. While prices differ depending on the type of pet you have, Budget Direct is comparitevly cheap. On average, it cost $642 per year in our 2023 Finder Awards research. That's $279 less than the second cheapest policy, offered by Real pet insurance.
- It covers vet bills for accidents and illnesses and you can take your pet to your preffered vet.
- It's on the more basic side of pet insurance policies. You can claim up to $12,000 a year towards vet bills. That's below the average of $15,000.
- It comes with sub-limits. This limits how much you can claim for specific conditions. For example, there's a $4,000 cap on orthopaedic conditions, a $2,600 cap on cruciate ligament conditions, a $1,500 cap on tick paralysis and a $1,200 cap on snake attacks. Insurers including Knose and Petsy don't do sub-limits.
Top pick for value: Knose Pet Insurance
What we like about Knose:
- It won 2 Finder Awards for best comprehensive policy and best value policy. Knose covers 90% of eligible vet bills and you can claim up to $25,000 per year. The majority of insurers in Australia don't do this – most cover 80% of vet bills and let you claim between $12,000 and $15,000 a year.
- On top of that, Finder currently has an exclusive offer that lets you get 10% off your first year. (Sign up using the promo code FINDER. T&Cs apply.)
- There are also no sub-limits on specific conditions. For example, some insurers only let you claim up to $1,500 for certain conditions such as paralysis ticks. Knose doesn't do this.
- There are a small number of policies that cover 100% of vet bills. There are also some that let you claim more in a year (such as PIA and Trupanion).
Top pick for benefit percentage: PetsOnMe Deluxe Plan
What we like about PetsOnMe:
- It's one of the only insurers to give you 100% back on your vet bills if your pet gets sick or injured. The majority of insurers in Australia don't do this – most give you 80% back.
- You can get 2 months free if your pet is between 6 and 52 weeks old, or 1 month free if your pet is over 1 year old.
- It processes claims fast, typically within 2 business days.
- PetsOnMe isn't the only insurer to give you 100% back on your vet bills. Coles, Vets Choice and PD also do this. However, PetsOnMe has the lowest excess option ($75), which is the amount you need to pay when you make a claim.
Highly commended: Petsy Pet Insurance
What we like about Petsy
- Petsy was a highly commended brand for value and comprehensiveness in the 2023 Finder Awards. It covers 90% of eligible vet bills and you can claim up to $25,000 per year. The average is 80% and around $15,000 a year.
- There are no sneaky sub-limits. This means you're covered for up to $25,000 for any accident or illness. This is a really helpful benefit because, as any owner who's had to pay for surgery will tell you, it can be extremely expensive in Australia.
- It can cover illnesses after you've held a policy for 14 days. The average is between 21 and 30 days.
- If you're looking for a basic policy, look elsewhere. Providers including Budget Direct, Medibank and Coles are all typically cheaper but don't come with the high limits Petsy offers.
Top pick for routine care: PIA Major Medical Cover
What we like about PIA Major Medical Cover:
- It's the only policy out of 60+ policies to automatically covers routine care. It gives you up to $145 a year towards costs such as desexing, microchipping, council registration fees and vaccinations. All other insurers make you pay extra for this or don't include it at all.
- It has the second highest annual limit out of all Australian pet insurers. You can claim up to $30,145 per year towards vet bills if your dog or cat gets sick or injured.
- It's good for discounts as well. You get the first 2 months free. Based on average pet insurance costs, that could work out as a saving of around $160.
- You can get 80% back on vet bills. Insurers including PD, Coles, PetsOnMe and Vets Choice all offer up to 100% back.
Why compare pet insurance with Finder?
You pay the same price as buying directly from the pet insurer.
We're not owned by an insurer (unlike other comparison sites).
We don't ask for your phone or email.
We've reviewed over 35 policies on the market, so you don't have to.
Tips to find the best pet insurance policy
Keep these 3 tips top of mind and it'll be much easier for you to find a good pet insurance policy:
Don't settle for a low annual limit
Pet insurance policies typically let you claim up to $15,000 a year. This may seem like a lot but surgery can exceed $20,000 in some cases. Always check the annual benefit limit before you buy. Everyday ($30,000), Petsy ($25,000) and RSPCA ($20,000) all offer more than average.
Look for a reimbursement rate of 80% or higher
The reimbursement rate, or benefit percentage, is the amount of the vet bill the pet insurer will cover you for. Most comprehensive pet insurance policies will pay 80% of all eligible vet bills. Some, such as Coles (100%), Vets Choice (100%), PD (100%), PetsOnMe (100%) and Petsy (90%) offer more. A high benefit percentage is best for those who don't want to risk facing big out-of-pocket expenses.
Don't hold off on pet insurance until your pet is older
If they develop any health conditions before you've taken out pet insurance, they will be considered pre-existing conditions by the insurer and you won't usually be covered for any treatment related to that condition. Some insurers won't cover your pet at all once they are 9 or older.
Once you have narrowed down your options, get some quotes from each insurer. This will help you see who offers the best-priced pet insurance policy for you.
Read our pet insurance reviews
If you're still not sure which pet insurer is right for you, you can check out our pet insurance review page which outlines the main pros and cons of each provider. We also have individual pet insurance reviews to help you make a decision.
Why you can trust Finder's pet insurance experts
You pay the same as buying directly from the pet insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of pet insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.
Since 2016, we've helped 110,000+ people find pet insurance by explaining your cover options, simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.
We're here to help
FAQs about finding the best pet insurance
- Budget Direct pet insurance PDS,
- Everyday pet insurance PDS,
- Knose pet insurance PDS,
- Medibank pet insurance PDS,
- Petsy Pet Insurance PDS,
- PetsOnMe pet insurance PDS,
- PIA pet insurance PDS,
- Trupanion pet insurance PDS
More guides on Finder
UFC PPVs will move to exclusive Australian broadcaster in 2024
The biggest events in the octagon are getting an exclusive home.
Top 10 TV shows in Australia this week and where to watch them
An animated favourite returns and a noted showrunner adds to his CV.
Where to buy the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5 in Australia
Find out where you can pre-order the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5 in Australia right now with savings of up to $649.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 and Z Flip 5 plans: Best pre-order deals in Australia
Samsung's finally unveiled the snazzy new Galaxy Z Fold 5 and Z Flip 5 and the pre-order offers from the telcos will get you heaps excited.
Dollar Saver tip #41
If you’ve worked from home at all over the past year you’re entitled to claim some money back as a tax deduction.
Dollar Saver tips index
Find all the weekly tips from our Dollar Saver newsletter and see how you could save.
Borrowers cut back on credit, but rising rates are pushing more to the brink
Credit card applications are on the rise, but everything else is down as more borrowers miss mortgage repayments.
Earn free Qantas or Velocity Points at JB Hi-Fi: Get in quick!
Get clever with gift cards and reap the (flight) rewards.
Lights out: Aussies slapped with $800 hike to energy bills
Australian households are facing an energy crisis as price hikes coincide with peak winter demand, according to new research by Finder.
Barbie mania is impacting the stock market
The Mattel doll is taking the stock market for a nostalgia-fueled ride.
Get a better deal on pet insurance
How much does it cost to insure a dog in Australia?