How to get the best exchange rate on international money transfers
Learn some tips and tricks which will help you get the most for your Australian dollars.
How to find the best exchange rates
When transferring funds internationally or exchanging currency for a trip overseas, you will want to get the most bang for your buck. So here's our top tips on how to get the best exchange rates possible:
- Use money transfer specialists: Providers like OFX, Wise and similar online money transfer services offer competitive exchange rates and lower margins. If you are sending money overseas, these companies typically charge lower fees than traditional banks.
- Convert cash when rates are favourable: If you know you need to make an international transfer or you will be traveling overseas, then try to exchange your cash when rates are favourable to you. Carry out your conversion at an exchange provider that charges low fees and has a competitive rate, and you'll benefit by saving money.
- Exchange money at airports or train stations: Although it's convenient, they never offer the best exchange rates. You will find they take advantage of people's need to exchange their money and charge highly for the convenience.
- Use a credit or debit card abroad: Unless you know for sure, your card will most likely charge fees for use abroad and offer poor exchange rates.
How to get the best exchange rate on international money transfers
If you plan to use an international money transfer service, then it's best to shop around and compare your options. The more time you can leave yourself before needing to send the transfer the better. Here are a few things to think about when comparing money transfer exchange rates:
- Know the mid-market rate for your currency. Money transfer providers skew exchange rates in their favour. Therefore it is best to use the mid-market rate as a baseline and see who is offering a fair exchange rate.
- Compare providers. Use our table to compare online providers. It is also worth getting quotes from a few providers and seeing which offers the better deal.
- Skip the bank. The bank is not your friend in this situation, as they almost always offer weaker exchange rates.
- Use transfer tools to save money. Consider using recurring payments, forward contracts and limit orders to get a stronger exchange rate.
- Send larger amounts. You will find that many money transfer providers offer stronger exchange rates for larger transfers. If you send more than $10,000 with OFX you will skip any transfer fees.
Which Australian bank offers the best foreign exchange rate?
Based on reviewing exchange rates for the top three currency pairs, NAB is the bank with the best foreign exchange rates in Australia. This came as a surprise, as we expected to see ANZ take the top spot. Out of the big four banks, Commonwealth Bank provides the weakest rates. Despite the results, we recommend using a money transfer specialist such as Wise, OFX and TorFX if you're sending money overseas.
|Bank||AUD to USD||AUD to Euro||AUD to GBP|
The data contained within the table was captured on 13 June 2023.
How to monitor exchange rates?
One of the ways to save yourself money is carrying out your conversion when the exchange rate is most favourable. If you know in advance you will be sending money abroad or travelling overseas, then you should monitor currency trends ahead of time. Take a look at our live currency converter to see what exchange rate you would get for converting your cash today.
Market demand dictates how much one currency is worth compared to another - this is known as the mid-market rate. It is also the rate that banks use to trade money with one another.
When you convert money through a money transfer service, you will typically find that the provider adds a margin on top of the exchange rate to make money. So it is worth keeping this in mind when you are monitoring exchange rates.
Select the currency pair to fit your needs
Compare exchange rates of money transfer services
Where to exchange currency before your trip
If you know in advance that you will be travelling abroad, then there are several options for how to get the best exchange rates for your AUD:
- Check your local bank. If you have an account with one of the larger banks in Australia, they should be able to sell you a wide range of foreign currencies. Just beware of poor exchange rates. Even smaller banks can often order money from larger branches.
- Use a currency ordering service. Services like Travelex allow you to order more than 50 currencies and have them delivered straight to your door. However, keep in mind you won't get the mid-market rate.
- Check local money changers. Take a trip into the city and view rates at money exchange services such as United Currency Exchange, Travelex, Travel Money Oz and Crown Currency.
- Use an international transfer service, but have it delivered to your destination. Find a provider that can deliver your transfer for cash pickup at an agent location and have it waiting for you when you arrive at your destination.
Where to exchange currency outside of Australia?
When traveling internationally you'll typically get better exchange rates at banks, ATMs and post offices. If you have a bank card that doesn't charge international ATM fees, this will most likely be the strongest and most convenient option.
It may be possible to exchange money at your hotel, but double-check the rate against the mid-market rate to see how strong it is. You may also find that some local shops and restaurants offer to accept payment in your native currency.
Here's our dos and don'ts when it comes to exchanging currency outside of Australia:
Do exchange money at:
- Post offices
- Your hotel
Do not exchange money at:
- Tourist destinations
- Street-side exchange bureaus
- Airports, train stations, bus stations and the like
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Foreign currency exchange rates
Convert exchange rates from AUD to other currencies.
Australian Dollar to Hryvnia exchange rate
Learn more about currency exchange rates for AUD/UAH.
Australian Dollar to Turkish Lira exchange rate
Explore AUD to TRY live rates, historical data and money transfer tools.
Australian Dollar to Zambian Kwacha exchange rate
Get AUD to ZMW exchange rates and historical data.
Australian Dollar to Rand exchange rate
Get live exchange rates for AUD to ZAR.
Australian Dollar to CFP Franc exchange rate
Learn more about currency exchange rates for AUD/XPF.
Australian Dollar to Tala exchange rate
Get live exchange rates for AUD to WST.
Australian Dollar to Vatu exchange rate
Get live exchange rates for AUD to VUV.
Australian Dollar to Vietnamese đồng exchange rate
Get live exchange rates for AUD to VND.
Australian Dollar to Venezuelan Bolívar exchange rate
Learn more about how to find the best exchange rate for AUD/VES.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Ask an Expert